Return of Title IV Refund Frequently Asked Questions

Return of Title IV Refund
Federal student aid recipients that officially or unofficially withdrawal or cease attending all of their classes prior to 60% of the enrollment period may be subject to repayment to all or a portion of the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Student Loans and/or other Federal aid received.  Below are questions and answers on how the Return of Title IV Refund is determined.

How do I avoid paying back my Pell Grant?
Keep attending your classes.

  • If you receive a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Stafford Loans and then withdraw from ALL your classes or stop attending ALL your classes, you may have to repay all or a portion of that aid received.
  • Once you have completed more than 60% of the semester, you have earned all of your assistance. If you withdraw from EWC before completing 60% of the semester, you will have to repay any unearned financial aid funds that were already disbursed to you.

What about my student loan?
Keep attending your classes. The same rules apply to Federal Stafford Loans.

What if I stop attending or withdraw from all my classes?
The College will calculate how much you must repay based on how many days you attended. You will be notified by the Financial Aid Office of how much you must repay. EWC must report any student that does not repay to the federal government at the end of 45 days. You will be ineligible to receive financial aid at ANY school until the funds are repaid in full.

How can I repay the funds I owe?
Students are responsible for the repayment. Payment must be made to the Student Accounts Office within 45 days. Once the debt has been reported to the federal government, the amount owed must be repaid to the Federal government and not to EWC.

What if I never attended?
Students who never attended are considered "No Shows." These students are considered ineligible for financial aid, and 100% of the financial aid received must be repaid. In addition, if a student does not withdraw prior to the published drop date, they may owe 100% of their tuition and fee charges.

Official withdrawals must be processed through Admissions, Registration, and Records. Students who fail to formally withdraw from classes prior to the published drop date (census date) will be held responsible for any tuition/fee charges and repayment of all financial aid for the term even if they did not attend.

Where does the repayment go?
For a return of Title IV refund, repayment returns back to the Federal Financial Aid program(s) that you received the aid from. Federal regulations require the college return Federal funds in the following order:

  • Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan
  • Subsidized Direct Stafford Loan
  • Direct PLUS Loan
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant - FSEOG
  • Federal TEACH Grant
  • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant